Careers at NLC
Careers at NLC
IT Business Process Analyst
Slave Lake or Grouard
January 9th, 2018
January 28th, 2018 - 11:53pm
Salary Range: $81,060 to $111,216 per year
Hours Per Week:
Northern Lakes College is a publicly governed Comprehensive Community Institution (CCI) with 23 campuses and 5 community access points, located in 50 communities across northern Alberta. Diploma and certificate programs include academic upgrading, business administration, office administration, health sciences and human services, trades and technology, university studies, and a variety of continuing education and corporate training certificates and courses. We support and promote professional development and wellness opportunities, and provide our employees with an attractive benefits plan and competitive salaries. The college’s service region offers numerous recreational activities for the entire family to enjoy!
Northern Lakes College has the following full time ongoing position available:
IT Business Process Analyst
Salary Range: $81,060 to $111,216 per year
Location: Slave Lake or Grouard
- College diploma or university degree in the field of business administration, computer science, management information systems and 5 years related work experience. University degrees in other disciplines such as education and finance will also be considered based on the level of the Candidate’s experience working with IT projects.
- Experience with requirements analysis, process modeling/mapping and data modeling;
- Prior experience with major information systems projects (CRM, ERP, etc.) as a key IT or business stakeholder;
- Experience as a moderator, business coach or continuing education course facilitator would be an advantage;
- Experience with Unit4/Agresso products, Moodle and/or other information technology systems used in higher education is an advantage;
- Must have a clean criminal record check prior to commencement;
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
For complete details on this employment opportunity, visit us online at: www.northernlakescollege.ca click on Careers at NLC
Please submit a resume quoting the reference number NLC-1648 to:
Northern Lakes College, Human Resources, 1201 Main Street SE, Slave Lake, AB T0G 2A3
Fax resume to: 780 849-5881
Closing Date: January 28, 2018
Note: Northern Lakes College thanks all applicants for their interest in employment; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
IT Business Process Analyst / Scrum Master
Major Job Function:
Northern Lakes College is in the process of evolving its Student Information and Learning Systems in collaboration with other Post-Secondary Institutions across Alberta, with additional projects expected in other Enterprise areas following the same. The Business Process Analyst will play a key role in the transition of these systems, while promoting Lean Continuous Improvement and Analytics Driven Decision Making and Planning in the workplace.
The Business Process Analyst will facilitate the design, development and implementation of new business processes and systems across a diverse range of organizational areas including student and learner services, finance, and human resources. They will take the lead on the design and rollout of new business processes and system features and moderate and facilitate discovery, planning and review/retrospective sessions as it relates to process and system implementation.
Note that this is a “hands-on” role that will require a high degree of interaction and facilitation across cross-functional teams including research into current state data, test planning, business readiness planning and system acceptance. The successful individual will need to apply strong communication, collaboration, facilitation, analytical and problem-solving skills towards realizing the College’s objectives.
An Agile/Scrum approach will be used for project delivery, in alignment with Lean Continuous Improvement activities.
This position can be located in Grouard or Slave Lake.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate Scrum/A3 story discovery sessions that include IT, cross-functional teams, vendors and partner institutions to understand current state, identify potential improvements and plan and implement future state business processes.
- Meet with end users (including students and frontline staff) and product owners to plan Sprints, estimate and prioritize Scrum backlog lists and set Sprint goals.
- Facilitate goal setting and the prioritization of deliverables based on Business Value.
- Ensure that each Sprint has a clear Definition of Done / Measure of Success.
- Perform basic cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed changes.
- Prototype the implementation of new processes and feature rollouts on the new system in co-ordination with participating vendor(s) and other stakeholders.
- Help maintain Scrum burndown reports (to-do lists) and backlogs. Share progress and solicit team capacity and support as required at daily IT huddles and Scrum meetings.
- Coordinate Sprint review and retrospective meetings and work with senior IT and College management on the removal of any impediments to progress.
- Follow through iteratively as required with regard to the improvement of business processes.
- Operationalize the use of Analytics derived from Planning and Testing processes in conjunction with the Business stakeholders, on the College’s Microsoft PowerBI platform.
- Assist with overall change management and the development of implementation budgets and timeframes.
- Collaborate as required in other planning, design, development, deployment and enhancements activities.
- Assist where required in request for information / request for proposal activities and research on potential information technology solutions and vendor capabilities.
- Coach and provide guidance to staff members on systems and business processes where required.
- Promote a Lean Continuous Improvement approach, the use of Analytics in planning and decision making, and harness the potential of the College’s existing investment in Microsoft Office 365 environment.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong customer service orientation and an understanding of the College’s vision, mission, goals and objectives.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Logical and efficient, with analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Process thinking abilities, the successful facilitation of process discovery sessions and the ability to translate user stories into business processes and system features are a key requirement of this job.
- Ability to work in a transparent, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Practical, demonstrable knowledge in the use Microsoft Office 365.
- Will be required to make independent judgement calls and take action, or solicit required expertise and motivate team actions as appropriate.
- Must be able to effectively prioritize and execute while under pressure.
Contacts (Internal and External):
- Other Colleges/Institutions
- General Public
- Daily contact with IT and College Staff
- Contact with external contractors and service providers
- College diploma or university degree in the field of business administration, computer science, finance, or management information systems and 5 years related work experience.
- Experience with requirements analysis, process modeling/mapping and data modeling.
- Prior experience with major information systems projects (CRM, ERP, etc.) as a key IT or business stakeholder.
- Experience as a moderator, business coach or continuing education course facilitator would be an advantage.
- Experience with Unit4/Agresso products, Moodle and/or other information technology systems used in higher education is an advantage.
Suggested Additional Qualifications:
- Technical knowledge of programming languages, computer networks and operating systems are an advantage but not a fundamental requirement for this role.
- An understanding of basic project management concepts and knowledge of MS Project or other Agile environments (E.g. Jira) is an advantage.
- Lean / Scrum experience is an advantage, although coaching on the approach implemented at the College will be provided.
- Prior experience working in a post-secondary education environment preferred
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard or mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional travel will be required between Northern Lakes College campuses.