Careers at NLC
Careers at NLC
Paramedicine Instructors (two)
August 2nd, 2018
August 19th, 2018 - 10:59pm
Salary Range: $58,680 to $90,120 per year
Hours Per Week:
Northern Lakes College is a publicly governed Comprehensive Community Institution (CCI) with 23 campuses and 5 community access point sites, located in 50 communities across northern Alberta. Diploma and certificate programs include academic upgrading, business administration, office administration, health sciences and human services, trades and technology, university studies, and a variety of continuing education and corporate training certificates and courses. We support and promote professional development and wellness opportunities, and provide our employees with an attractive benefits plan and competitive salaries. The college’s service region offers numerous recreational activities for the entire family to enjoy!
Northern Lakes College has the following two full time positions available in Slave Lake:
Salary Range: $58,680 to $90,120 per year
August 2018 to ongoing
- Preference will be given to applicants with a paramedic diploma who are actively working as an Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) with several year’s experience working in an ALS service. Primary Care Paramedics with experience in ALS will also be considered;
- Eligibility for unrestricted registration with the College of Paramedics of Alberta;
- 5-year registration at the Advanced Care Paramedic or Primary Care Paramedic level;
- Minimum 2-year clinical instructor experience;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Driver’s License required;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for appointment at a developmental level;
- Preference is given to applicants with or working on higher education in paramedicine, health, management, or adult education areas;
- Criminal record check with vulnerable sector must be provided prior to employment.
For complete details on this employment opportunity, visit us online at:
www.northernlakescollege.ca click on Careers to apply on line
Please submit a resume quoting the reference number NLC-1703 to:
Northern Lakes College, Human Resources, 1201 Main Street SE, Slave Lake, AB. T0G 2A3
Closing Date: August 19, 2018
Note: Northern Lakes College thanks all applicants for their interest in employment; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Instructor, Paramedicine Programs
The key responsibilities include: instruction in the classroom, educational planning and advising. The position reports to the Chair, Allied Health Programs
Primary areas of responsibility are:
- Provide individual and group instruction in classroom
- become knowledgeable of paramedic program and course expectations
- Use a variety of teaching techniques and strategies appropriate for adult learners.
- provide students with accurate and timely information regarding courses and programs
- Ensure that students are familiar with the contents of the student handbook.
- establish and maintain a classroom/laboratory environment conducive to learning; maintain an inventory of supplies and materials;
- provide opportunities for students' evaluation of instruction; make adjustments as needed in response to student feedback
- provide access to educational resources
- build a mutually comfortable working relationship with students; advocate on behalf of students
- demonstrate a respect for individual differences
- encourage peer support activities
- monitor student attendance and progress; identify and assist students experiencing difficulties; use probationary/performance contracts as required; make probation and termination recommendations
- Organize/facilitate student orientation to the college.
- ensure exam security, co-ordinate exam schedule and supervise exams as require
- contribute to the development and maintenance of curriculum for the program
- assist in promoting college programs: project a positive image of the college; maintain and encourage good public relations; display a client service attitude; identify and participate in promotional activities; assist with the development of promotional materials and activities; identify and share promotional ideas
- maintain confidentiality of information; act in accordance with FOIP regulations
- adhere to College and program policies, procedures and guidelines
- participate in professional development; annually identify learning goals and provide evidence of progress toward achieving goals
The incumbent is able to demonstrate:
- sensitivity to the needs of adult learners
- ability to work, at times, with uncertainty
- a balanced approach to the needs of the students and the requirements of the institution
- ability to make positive contributions to short and long term planning based on experience with post-secondary learning and adult learners
- a positive, problem-solving approach to the work
- ability to function well as a member of a team
- Must be an Advanced Care Paramedic
- Eligibility for unrestricted registration with the College of Paramedics of Alberta
- 5 year registration at the Advanced Care Paramedic level
- Minimum 2 year clinical instructor experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Driver’s License required
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for appointment at a developmental level
- Criminal record check with vulnerable sector
- Fluency in Cree is an asset.
- Preference is given to applicants with or working on higher education in paramedicine, health, management, or adult education areas.