Careers at NLC
Careers at NLC
Instructor, Health Sessional
September 7th, 2018
September 24th, 2018 - 11:55pm
Job Start Date:
October 15th, 2018
Job End Date:
March 20th, 2019
Salary Range: $31.01 to $47.63 per hour
Northern Lakes College is a publicly governed Comprehensive Community Institution (CCI) with 23 campuses and 5 community access point sites, located in 50 communities across northern Alberta. Diploma and certificate programs include academic upgrading, business administration, office administration, health sciences and human services, trades and technology, university studies, and a variety of continuing education and corporate training certificates and courses. We support and promote professional development and wellness opportunities, and provide our employees with an attractive benefits plan and competitive salaries. The college’s service region offers numerous recreational activities for the entire family to enjoy!
Northern Lakes College has the following sessional position available:
Salary Range: $31.01 to $47.63 per hour
October 15, 2018 to March 20, 2019
Location: Slave Lake
- Must be a Licensed Practical Nurse or a Registered Nurse;
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Health related degree;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for appointment at a developmental level;
- Minimum two-year recent related work experience in clinical setting and demonstrated competence in the occupational/subject area;
- Eligible for registration with College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta or College & Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta;
- Ability to plan, organize, instruct, and facilitate quality educational programs;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Willingness to travel.
For complete details on this employment opportunity, visit us online at: www.northernlakescollege.ca click on Careers at NLC
Please submit a resume quoting the reference number NLC-1713 to:
Northern Lakes College, Human Resources, 1201 Main Street SE, Slave Lake, AB T0G 2A3
Closing Date: September 24, 2018
Note: Northern Lakes College thanks all applicants for their interest in employment; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Title: Instructor, Health Programs – Practical Nurse Program
Major Job Function: This position is responsible for increasing student learning through designing and implementing effective learning strategies and environments; delivering instruction of high quality in the classroom, laboratory and clinical settings; assessing student learning, advising students, and participating in College activities; site co-ordination, record keeping and administration. Competencies and tasks of the position will be consistent with the educational principles of the College, which focus on meeting the learning needs of students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan for Instruction: Identify resources, equipment and facility needs, and operational planning priorities. Assist the Program Chair/Program Coordinator in scheduling classes to meet the learning needs of students and the instructional demands of the program.
- Develop/Implement Curriculum: Instructional team members are responsible for contributing to curriculum development, implementation and evaluation. They provide appropriate guidance and teaching to students in the classroom, laboratory and the clinical practice setting. They also contribute to course evaluation.
- Facilitate Student Learning and Deliver Instruction: Deliver, assess and redesign instruction which meets the needs of diverse and distance students. Inform students of expectations, adapt instructional strategies to meet student needs, and utilize technology and varied media as appropriate.
- Assess Student Learning: Conduct an ongoing program of student assessment working with other program/general education instructors to ensure student achievement and effectiveness of instruction. Communicate progress with students and appropriate College services. Document student performance over time. Use assessment data to improve course and program delivery. Maintain the standards of achievement that are necessary in meeting the demands of occupations for which students are being prepared.
- Manage the Classroom Effectively: Meet the assigned schedule, provide students with course outlines, establish a safe and respectful learning environment, maintain accurate student attendance and achievement records, and ensure opportunities for students’ participation, collaboration with peers, and course/faculty evaluation.
- Establish and Monitor Effective Lab and Practicum Learning Environments: Design, organize and monitor a safe, well-maintained lab in programs as appropriate; participate in/monitor/supervise practicum/field placements as required by program area.
- Assist in Advising Students: Provide academic assistance, program and career information, and referrals to College services to students. Document and follow up student concerns. Post and hold office hours.
- Assist with Course/Program Evaluation and Continuous Improvement: Provide data for formal and informal program evaluations, assist with semester student evaluations, and industry surveys.
- Pursue Ongoing Professional Development: Maintain up-to-date certification and licenses as needed. Develop and implement a professional development plan that incorporates effective innovation in program content and process. Attend all in-service professional development workshops.
- Assist in Recruiting Students: Conduct orientations, attend information sessions, confer with prospective students, and assist in preparation and updating of promotional activities and materials in the program.
- Work Collaboratively with Colleagues and Participate on Instructional and College-wide Teams: Participate in team activities in a collaborative process. Identify and implement instructional team student retention activities.
- Accountability: This position is accountable to and reports to the Program Chair.
- Commitment to meeting the learning needs of students.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, values, and business plan of the College.
- Willingness to work with students beyond the classroom to ensure their success.
- Demonstrated positive attitude.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in program/course content and delivery.
- Understanding of assessment and its role in continuous program improvement.
- Willingness to take on program ownership and accountability.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Evidence of willingness to take risks, to innovate, and to change to meet evolving program and industry needs.
- Demonstrated competency in use of technology that supports learning and teaching.
- Flexibility in schedule, including availability for evening, weekend, or spring/summer assignment, as appropriate.
- Must be a Licensed Practical Nurse or a Registered Nurse.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Health related degree.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for appointment at a developmental level.
- Minimum two-year recent related work experience in clinical setting and demonstrated competence in the occupational/subject area.
- Eligible for registration with College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta or College & Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta
- Ability to plan, organize, instruct, and facilitate quality educational programs.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Master’s Degree in a related discipline.
- Experience teaching adults.
- Experience using distance education technologies.
- Experience developing curriculum.
- Fluency in Cree is an asset.