Emergency Medical Services is a dynamic industry that offers an exciting and rewarding career for individuals looking to make a positive impact in other people's lives. The Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) Program is a full-time program with independent study, online lectures, and face-to-face on-site sessions. Students will gain hands-on experience through labs and scenario-based training. Students will develop critical-thinking skills that will allow them to develop an appropriate differential diagnosis and treatment pathway for their patients. Communications, personal wellness, safety, and professionalism are stressed throughout the program. The program has a flexible schedule that allows students the freedom and flexibility to remain employed in their home communities while increasing their skills and knowledge.
This program is approved by the Alberta College of Paramedics, ensuring graduates are skilled in all competencies relevant to the National Occupational Competency Profile.
The theory portion of the program is delivered over approximately 35 weeks and is followed by a hospital practicum and an ambulance practicum. Students are responsible for costs related to travel and accommodations for the on-site sessions and practicum. Students are required to have a tablet computer to complete the program. Make a difference in someone's life--apply today!
Program LocationsSep 05, 2023 - Aug 28, 2024 - Blended - Slave Lake
• Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of program completion.
• Proof of valid Alberta Class 5 Driver's License or equivalent.
• Current CPR certification is required for access to the program practicums (a CPR course is offered during the program).
• A clear Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check. The presence of an unclear CRC or Vulnerable Sector Check may disqualify a student from accessing practicum placements required for program completion or from securing employment after graduation.
• Immunization Record completed in full, by a qualified health professional, showing immunization status required for entry into practicum placements. Students who do not meet the immunization requirements for practicum placement are required to sign an Immunization Waiver to acknowledge that the lack of certain immunizations, may impact the student's ability to attend a practicum placement required to complete the program requirements.
• Core Computer Skills (word processing, spreadsheets, internet, and email).
• Students are required to have a mobile tablet device, with a screen no smaller than 9", compatible with Comptracker competency tracking software.
• Students must have reliable, high-speed Internet access and a mobile device compatible with the College technology requirements.
Credits in the following courses: • Biology 30 (60%) or Bio 0190(60%) or an assessed Biology equivalency. • English 30-1 or equivalent (60%) or English 30-2 or equivalent (70%) or ENGL 0190 (60%) or an assessed English equivalency. • Math 20-1 or equivalent (50%) or Math 20-2 or equivalent (60%) or MATH 0190 (60%) an assessed Math equivalency. • Students must submit all official post-secondary transcripts upon application.
For those interested in pursuing a career as an Advanced Care Paramedic, PCP certification is a prerequisite for acceptance into Alberta Advanced Care Paramedic programs.